Sunday, May 15, 2016

Q & A TIME ONCE AGAIN:



Q & A TIME ONCE AGAIN:

THIS QUESTION COME FROM THE NETHERLANDS:


Dear Kevin Novak,

Thanks for all your good work on the anoxic filtration system. I am
really interested in this system and would like to get more technical
understanding for implementing such a great system. In the Netherlands,
where I live, it is hard to find good information about this system. As a
farmer I am looking for a biological ammonia filtration system. And I
wonder if your system could do the job, as nature has intended to.

May it be possible to filter high ammonia concentration (14mg/l) on this
filter, by adding more and more baskets with cat litter? If so I could
re-use my 7000 liter of water. I have read that one basket should filter
the ammonia production of active koi per day (33mg ammonia per hour per
kilo bodyweight production is 800mg ammonia per day for a mature koi).
Although the ammonia concentration in koi ponds is lower than in my
situation, I wonder if the facultative bacteria could increase to eat
14mg/l ammonia for lunch.

And what is the maximum amount of water per hour which can be pumped
over an anoxic filter? It might be a solution to increase the
recirculation rate of the water over the filter.

I am really looking forward to your ideas and advice.

With kind regards,

F. Bikker



A: The Anoxic Filtration System is capable of lowering ammonium/ammonia of concentrations higher than the 14mg/l that you stated. The more Biocenosis Clarification Baskets there are, the better the system works on available foodstuff, if that is, it has the chemical insults to deal with in the first place.

You can use your 7000-liters over and over again as long as the stability of the water stays stable enough with ions to hold pH at a constant.

The amount of water that passes through the Anoxic Filter will depend how big the filter is to begin with. The rule of thumb is: The more water that passes through the filter without disruption of sediment or mulm is the best way to use the filter. That is why the diffusion of the water is so important. In the case of the Anoxic Filter, more is better.





QUESTION FROM SINGAPORE:



Hi Dr Novak

I am Cornelius from Singapore. I have read through your excellent blog on the Anoxic Filtration System, and am in the process of setting up one for myself. I would be very grateful if you could help me clarify a few queries?

Regarding Pond Baskets:
1. Is the pond basket (28cm x 28cm x 19cm deep)  I have purchased over the internet the correct one (See attached picture)?

2. Are there enough open lattices at the bottom of the basket? From the picture, it can be seen that some sections of the bottom does not have open lattices. Would this affect the performance of the filter?

Regarding Laterite / Ironite:
3. Do I need to rinse the laterite or ironite before placing them in the center of the basket? I am using ironite and placed half cup of it into a nylon sock before rinsing it. But after rinsing, the amount of ironite that remained in the sock weighed less than half cup.

4. Is the positioning of the laterite / ironite critical? Must it be deeply rooted in the center of the basket? Would it be ok if the laterite is closer to the surface but still covered totally by cat litter?

Regarding Pebbles:
5. For my old filter, I am using Seachem Pond Matrix (Porous Stones) for biological filtration. As I have a lot of them, can I reuse these stones in place of pebbles to cover the baskets? Would they be detrimental to the anoxic system?

Regarding Cat Litter:
6. I am using Sanitcat Pink (Danish Moler Clay) cat litter. It does not clump and retains its structure when wet. But I noticed this cat litter had a fragrant scent upon opening up the packaging. The scent was reduced after rinsing the litter a few times. Would this cat litter be ok for use?

Thank you so much for inventing this awesome system.

Best Regards

Cornelius Tan




This plant basket will do well for an Anoxic Filter.


Q: 1 Regarding Pond Baskets:

1. Is the pond basket (28cm x 28cm x 19cm deep)  I have purchased over the internet the correct one (See attached picture)?

A: The plant basket in your photo will do just fine for the Anoxic Filter.

Q: 2. Are there enough open lattices at the bottom of the basket? From the picture, it can be seen that some sections of the bottom does not have open lattices. Would this affect the performance of the filter?

A: Yes there are more than enough lattice opening at the sides and bottom of your plant baskets.
Q:3) Regarding Laterite / Ironite:

  Q: 3) Do I need to rinse the Laterite or Ironite before placing them in the center of the basket? I am using Ironite and placed half cup of it into a nylon sock before rinsing it. But after rinsing, the amount of Ironite that remained in the sock weighed less than half cup.

A: NO, never rinse the Laterite or Ironite before use. Just place the Ironite in a nylon sock as you have suggested, this will do just fine. You can also if you wish do the same for the Laterite but it is not necessary to do so. The Laterite can be placed directly into the basket in the center as explained on my blog.
anoxicfiltrationsystem.blogspot.com


4. Is the positioning of the Laterite / Ironite critical? Must it be deeply rooted in the center of the basket? Would it be ok if the Laterite is closer to the surface but still covered totally by cat litter?

A: The placement of the Laterite is really not that critical as long as it is evenly distributed inside the baskets. However, most hobbyists keep it in the center of the baskets. The Ironite on the other hand, must only be placed in the center of each basket.




Q: 4) Regarding Pebbles:

5. For my old filter, I am using SeaChem Pond Matrix (Porous Stones) for biological filtration. As I have a lot of them, can I reuse these stones in place of pebbles to cover the baskets? Would they be detrimental to the anoxic system?
A: Very good question and is the best of the lot. Reusing the SeaChem Pond Matrix is not a good idea. If you read my blog I do go into great detail about such filter medium and the good and bad about their use. Please read my articles on filter mediums and then you may see why their use is not a good idea. Just stick to the pebbles to cover the baskets. The links below will get you on a good start about filtration medium.





Q: 5) Regarding Cat Litter:

6. I am using Sanitcat Pink (Danish Moler Clay) cat litter. It does not clump and retains its structure when wet. But I noticed this cat litter had a fragrant scent upon opening up the packaging. The scent was reduced after rinsing the litter a few times. Would this cat litter be ok for use?

A: This is a very hard question to answer because I don’t know the contents of the fragrant/s use in the cat litter. My only suggestion would be make sure you rinse and clean such cat litter to the nines. Then test one of the baskets with a sacrificial lamb goldfishes to see if it will have any ill effect on their health. Some hobbyists have had very good luck with such cat litter and other have had a pond of death with fragrance cat litter.






No comments: