Sunday, November 10, 2013

Yogas’s pond modifications and the Anoxic filter with a pond ORP of 300-350.WOW!

Yogas and I have been communicating on his pond and water quality for some time now. If you remember his old filtration system was not doing the job he expected it to do and it was only at its precipice of his ponds poor water quality that he decided to switch everything over to an Anoxic Filtration System instead of buying an out-of-the-box-filter.

Yogas realized that water quality has many stories to tell and test kits (Ones that tell you ammonia, nitrite, pH, and nitrate.) will only tell you a small portion of that story. After reading my blog he soon new that TDS, ORP and CE will also tell us more about water parameters than just test kits alone.

His mission was to use the best filter he could, add oxygen to his pond properly and make other small improvements to his pond to give him über clean water. Well he has done it! Once again the AFS that has low cost with high yield now buts him at the top of his game in Indonesia.  I don’t think at any cost he could come out with better water quality unless he spends thousand of dollars more. Those increments of water quality would be very small indeed and in the long run would not justify the extra expenditure.

As I have said before: You can spend more money on filtration systems that are available to this hobby, but you really don’t have to. If you want a filter with bells and whistles on it and don’t mind the price them go far it! However, if you want a filter that works just as good or better for a fraction of the price, then AFS is your forte.

To read more about Yogas’s pond and Anoxic Filter click on the links below:






[Ed: I just wanted to add that an ORP of 300-375 is saltwater Mini Reef territory and is considered to be Barr None the best of its class as for as redox goes. To see this in a pond, only the über expensive filters can do this and most of the time only with Ozone added.]
E-mail November 10th, 2013:


Hi Dr. Novak,

Nice to hear from you. I hope everything is going smoothly for you. The chiller was installed yesterday and begun cooling down my pond, not so much though. Right now its just set to chill to 28 C. My pond ORP now varies between 300-350. I did the comparison towards my water source. The ORP of my water source was between 350-370 while at that time the pond ORP was around 300. Next week I'll try to further lower the temperature to 26-27 C. My target eventually will be to maintain pond temperature between 25-27 C. I'm quite excited about the effect 28 C has on ORP, can't wait to see the ORP value at 25 C. I'm also very excited with what I can know from this ORP monitor. In fact, I plan to use the ORP value to determine when it is time for a mechanical filter backwash. Again, thank you very much for all the enlightenment you have given to me, may God Bless you always.

Best regards,

Yogas

No comments: