Monday, August 26, 2013

I notice the white of my Tancho is getting whiter from a pinkish white and the black of my Showa is getting blacker.




Update 8-26-13 Yogas

Dear Dr. Novak,

First of all I would like to apologize that my observation towards my water quality after the insertion of the Biocenosis Baskets is far from meeting any scientific procedures. I just carry out the tests whenever I have enough spare time. Anyway, it has been 3 weeks now, and my last test two days ago, showed an increase in nitrates from 10mg/L to 25 mg/L. My usual measurement of nitrates would be 10mg/L, but then again the condition is not ceteris paribus with the only change being the insertion of the baskets. I also reduced the frequency of backwash. The reason for this is because the water looks great anyway, it is clear, foam and blanket weed exist but much less and increases in a much slower rate. It looks as though the alga is struggling to survive. But since the nitrate level is already in moderately high, and I would be off on a long business trip beginning next month, I decided to scrub everything off again and also inform my pond keeper on how to take care of the baskets during extreme cleanout (hopefully the last) such as yesterday.

Just to give a description of what is done when scrubbing of blanket weed yesterday:

1: Took out all Biocenosis baskets and put in water containing buckets.
2: Flushed all water in waterfall pool.
3: Scrub off the entire blanket weed in the waterfall pool.
4: Refilled waterfall pool with new water and moved all Koi to waterfall   pool.
5: Pumped out all water from main pond.
6: Scrub off all blanket weeds from main pond walls.
7: Refilled water and replaced all Koi into main pond.
8: Put Biocenosis baskets back into waterfall pool.

I figure even though the baskets are still in its early mid stage, it would be best to upgrade my UV clarifier from using submersible lamps to evolution aqua UV lamp (I use EA UV 30). This too was installed yesterday. In order to maximize UV sterilization and also save electricity, I plan to turn off my circulating pump every night, leaving only the main pump to the waterfall, which now passes the Evo-lamp, first. Anyway, things are going great for me, and I closely follow every new post you have on your blog. I notice the white of my Tancho is getting whiter from a pinkish white and the black of my Showa is getting blacker. Oh yeah, forgot to tell you, I also gave my pond 2 teaspoons of Bentonite clay every week and have already done it twice. Hopefully with all this done, it’s a one on one between Biocenosis baskets against nitrates. Again bless you always.

Best regards,

Yogas







 Hi Yogas,

It will take some time for the Biocenosis baskets to break-in as stated several times in my blog and confirmed by Dr. Franco and Dkoinut observations when they tested the Anoxic filter. You have something different going on with using Zeolite clay cat litter instead of the normal cat litter clay used in other Anoxic systems. I know this is the hardest time for the hobbyist the “waiting game” but there are really no other options.

NOTE: I get more complaints about the time it takes to cycle the Biocenosis baskets than any other. It wasn’t very long ago hobbyist had to cycle their ponds the old fashion way by waiting it out until Mother Nature took over. Aquariums also played by the same rules too and it seemed to take forever to cycle a fish tank. Nowadays nobody wants to wait anymore they want instant gratification…NOW! Did you hear me...I said I want it now! So hobbyists now add all kinds of inoculating products to their ponds or Aquariums to speed up the nitrogen cycling process. Unfortunately the facultative anaerobic bacteria we are looking far takes it own sweet time to colonize the Biocenosis baskets and no matter what the hobbyist does it will not grow any faster. Hey! I didn't invent the bacteria I only use it, so please don't kill the messenger. 


In the past as you have stated: “My usual measurement of nitrates would be 10mg/L, but then again the condition is not ceteris paribus (Ed: ceteris paribus is Latin for: All other things being equal or held constant) with the only change being the addition of the baskets. I also reduced the frequency of backwash.”  Maybe that backwashing was also making your Nitrates lower by dilution and not by your filtration system as-per-say. As you stated in your E-mail this has to be the case because the foodstuff for cyanobacteria and protein foam are exhibiting some restraints already. As you have stated: “The reason for this is because the water looks great anyway, it is clear, foam and blanket weed exist but much less and increases in a much slower rate. It looks as though the alga is struggling to survive.” This is a very good sign when cyanobacteria starts to diminish  [cyanobacteria will start breaking apart and you will see more and more getting sucked up in your prefilter.] and other forms of algae take over and/or struggle to dominant the pond. In natural system this is exactly what we look for: Not one dominating algae but several algae’s coexisting in the same ecosystem.  

You mentioned about upgrading your UV Sterilizer, good idea, too! We can’t have too much UV sterilization when it comes to our ponds. You also mentioned about the colors of your Koi getting better. This tells me you have other issues other than nitrates alone inhibiting Koi color and your newly added Biocenosis baskets are doing more in ion exchange or eradication than your old filter and water changes alone could do

I think hobbyist dwell to a great extent on bacteria that they forget bacteria only play a small part in water quality parameters. That’s what hobbyist is told and then they don’t understand there are other elements (TDS, CE, and Redox) involved in water quality that will in turn have a negative effect on our animals’, too.

Their only options are then to upgrade to higher tech equipment or an Anoxic filtration add-on much like Brian Woodcock in the UK did in his Anoxic Build. 


 Did you do any testing on the Bentonite clay in water to see its stability?

Once again thanks for the letter and update. Keep me posted when you get back from your business trip on your pond and Biocenosis baskets. It is amazing how you live on the other side of the world and we are communicating as though you live down the street from me. Thanks for ready my mind-numbing blog, it then shed some light of confidence that maybe I’m doing some good in a world were money means everything.

Godspeed,

Kevin



Anoxic Filtration System ®
February 02-2005-2013
New Updated Version

No comments: