Thursday, September 26, 2013

I intend to add pots in my existing filter system because I’m encountering string algae problem.



Hi Dr. Novak,



I intend to add pots in my existing filter system because I’m encountering string algae problems.

 The pond is 3600 gallon with 16 Koi; 8 of them are about 12”-20” while the rest are about 6”-10”. The BD circuit runs to a 55 gallon settlement chamber with microscreen to 55 gallon moving bed using K1 then to 3600gph pump to shower filter using Bio-balls to waterfalls back to the pond. The skimmer circuit goes to 55 gallon moving-bed using K1 to UV that Y to SG filter and foam fractionator.



I intend to put 4 smaller boxes (maybe 9”X9”X5”) of kitty litter clay and Laterite in the skimmer (made of white utility sink as per Greg Bickal’s DIY) and some more on top of the SG filter, right on top of the sand.

 My questions: Would this have a significant effect to the filtration system to control string algae even if the boxes are smaller and will just be about 10? How long does it take for these boxes to mature? Would I be able to see the impact this season or do I have to wait until next season? 

The pond water is pretty clean and clear. The only challenge I’m encountering is the string algae late in July.



 Thanking you in advance for your reply,



Regards, 
Jocel







Response:



My online blog does explain about cyanobacteria and how hard it is to eradicate from the pond. Because string alga is nothing more than bacteria, it is capable of making its own foodstuff at their base and can take nitrogen from the air, too. Sometimes adding Hydrogen peroxide at 6%, of one U.S. gallon to 2500-gals of water will do the trick! 

To say the Biocenosis clarification baskets would end your plague of cyanobacteria problems forever is a misnomer. Anecdotal accounts say that it works and other say it doesn’t, but each situation is different and each pond will either have the earmarks of being successfully holding such at bay, or constantly loosing the battle to too much unidentified DOC that were never accounted for by filters, not being the Anoxic filtration system. 

 Sometimes filters and/or food will produce just enough phosphates to trigger an outbreak and the hobbyist unsuspectingly blames it on something that is not related to the cause. I guess what I’m saying: There are no guarantees no mater how much filtration is used to eradication cyanobacteria and I would only be second guessing on your pond husbandry or the condition or trustworthiness of the equipment that is presently in play. Of course these are not the words you wanted to hear and not the words I wish to say, but sometimes telling the truth hurts more than the deceiving lie.














No comments: